Thursday, December 19, 2013

The End of a Season

I've thought about writing this post a number of times now since Saturday but I'm still not sure I'll get it out properly. 

I had run a number of 5ks prior to this year but this was really my first year "racing". It started with the Fenway Park Spartan Race at the end of last year. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I'd have accomplished what I have in the last 12 months. I didn't set out to complete two trifectas let alone one. I never planned to even do a Beast. 

Since Fenway, I've run two more stadium races - Citi Field and Citizens Bank Park. Hell Citi Field was done after running the inaugural Yuengling 5k, the hilliest 5k ever. We went to Miami and ran the Florida Super in February. I had figured if I were to run any Super that would be it, it would be fairly flat. There was NO WAY I was going to do the NJ Super if I did EVER think about doing a trifecta. 

I volunteered at the Tuexdo Sprint. It was the first race I had gone to since starting to run Spartan Races and boy did I regret not running. I ran the PA Sprint and did the sweeper wave - such a rewarding experience. A week later I did Superhero Scramble took a bit but I survived and fully appreciated all that Spartan did. August brought Warrior Dash on a miserable day and introducing my brother to Spartan Race in Virginia.

Then came September which started with more volunteering and running the NJ Super. After back to back weekends in July I knew I couldn't do the Vermont Beast so when they announced the Sprint I signed up. Probably the hardest Sprint to date. The month ended getting my sister in law on the bandwagon running Citizens Bank Park. 

October was just road races. Well a 5k and a five miler! I watched friends run in the NYC marathon which has inspired me to want to do a half. 

November and December gave me the completion of my trifectas. South Carolina was chilly but not to bad. We figured Texas HAD to be warmer. The morning of the TX Beast it was 43 degrees with 20 mph winds complete cloud covering. After picking up our packets I cried because I really didn't think I could do it. After 5:40 with encouragement from my team I crossed the finish line. 

There are a number of people I need to thank.  First and foremost, my husband for believing in me and introducing me to all of this. The friends, who are more like family, those that understand the crazy, that I have met along the way. I can't believe I don't get to see some of you for a number of months.  I'll miss you all.  AROO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site was made with ♥ by Angie Makes